Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Full set of Voice of the theater speakers for sale

  1. #1
    Inactive Member kingofthesofas's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 30th, 2008
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    This is a full set two horns, two drivers, two crossovers, two subs with original cabinets. They are on sale on http://audiogon.com/

    here's the posting:
    I have two Altec Lansing voice of the theater speakers for sale with
    matching subs (so two full speaker cabnets and 2 full sub cabnets.
    These are the orignal vintage item in good working condition. The
    re-issues on these sell for close to $6000 PER SPEAKER these are a steal for sure. The price I have listed is for the whole set two speakers with drivers and horns and two matching subs.
    I just don't have time to look for the proper vendor for them and I need the room they are taking up. for a small extra charge I'll even deliver them, within 50 miles of Austin TX. If you want to come see them and are serious about buying let me know and we can set it up. this is the link to the re-issues on the altec site
    http://www.alteclansing.com/index.ph...iproduct_id=a7

    On a side note If you live far away from Austin where they are located then bear in mind these are huge speakers and there is 4 of them, shipping them will be tricky, I didn't put a shipping price up there because I'm not really sure how to judge or charge for that so If you win the bid then getting them shipped is up to you. Like I said before If your within a reasonable distance of Austin (50 miles) I'll deliver them but my truck is old and can't make it too far.

    Horn model # 511B Serial # 75286
    Driver model # 802-8G Serial # 10524

    The starting price is $1000 let me know if you are interested.
    My email= [email protected]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member ClassicComics's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2008
    Posts
    135
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Went to Audiogon to view these and don't see them, are they already gone?

    EDIT - forget it - found em'

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ September 30, 2008 07:06 PM: Message edited by: ClassicComics ]</font>

  3. #3
    Inactive Member ClassicComics's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2008
    Posts
    135
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sorry to take over your thread here, but if the original poster or anyone can answer this for me.... the subs for sale in this listing, what exactly are those designs? Are those Altec? Is that some kind of standard Altec subwoofer design? Did Altec make subwoofers?

  4. #4
    Inactive Member kingofthesofas's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 30th, 2008
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ok so apperently it takes audiogon awile to post listing here's the URL to the listing it has some pictures that you can take a look at to see if that answers your questions:

    http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc....ull&1223946079

  5. #5
    Inactive Member kingofthesofas's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 30th, 2008
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ok I just re-read your comment and I'm 99.9% sure the speaker cabs are orignal but the sub cabs I'm not really sure of, after a intensive google image search all I can find is this:
    http://www.lenardaudio.com/education.../a17_altec.jpg

    It doesn't really tell me much, I'm not an audio expert so your guess is as good as mine. Let me know if you want more imformation and I'll try and find it out

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    It's a back loaded horn (AKA scoop bin) with a ~50 Hz roll off and AFAIK Altec never marketed them, though JBL did back then: http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/plans/C34.htm
    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...pro/page05.jpg

    GM

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Full set of Voice of the theater speakers for sale


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Just a couple of notes.

    The woofers in the bass cabinets do not look at all original to me. I think they have been reconed or replaced.

    If I'm not mistaken the proper woofer should have a vented dust cap- those do not appear to.

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...6-8c/page1.jpg

    The subs look like they are loaded with musical instrument speakers of some sort. I would be a bit questionable about them.

    Unless the subs really have something decent, your opening bid is a decent sale price for you.

    BTW quoting that ridiculous price for new ones is silly.

    I would like anybody who has paid 11 grand for a pair to let us know, I suspect one or two fools have.

    Most used VOT's sell for $750-1500 per pair.

    If your woofers have been reconed with the wrong parts, that is $200-300 to fix.
    If I am mistaken about the dust cap vent I will gladly post a correction. But I sure don't see it in the pic.

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ September 30, 2008 10:08 PM: Message edited by: O G ]</font>

  8. #8
    Inactive Member kingofthesofas's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 30th, 2008
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    In defense of the price after doing a lot of online research I have seen just the horns and drivers that are this exact model number go for over $1000 The subs are what they are I openly admit that I don't know much about them thats why I included the pictures. If they do not sell for my reserve price than I will be probably willing to strike a deal of some sort. And since there were no online auctions at the time I think it is perfectly reasonable to refer people to the re-issued item as a judge of value. After all if they are good enough to reissue then that should be a factor.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Full set of Voice of the theater speakers for sale


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    If you get your price fine, good for you.

    Would be interested in a link to a pair of horns that SOLD for $1000. Not asked 1000. Anybody can ask anything. I have seen many of those driver pairs at 400-500, they ARE very nice. And the horns are substantially less, they are quite common.

    But that is the most valuable part of what you have.

    And no, you don't know much about audio and the reissue is not any judge of value. An item not selling does not set the market. End of discussion.

    No online auctions?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ALTEC-LANSING-A-...d=p3286.c0.m14

    <font color="#FFFFFF"><font size="1">[ September 30, 2008 10:20 PM: Message edited by: O G ]</font></font>

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ September 30, 2008 10:24 PM: Message edited by: O G ]</font>

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by O G:

    If I'm not mistaken the proper woofer should have a vented dust cap- those do not appear to.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, ideally the ad should have listed the brand/model or at least any stamped info on the woofers of each cab. When I saw the solid DC in the A7 my first thought was it's a JBL since a lot of folks around here would replace blown 416s/421s with 2205s.

    GM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.